Sunday, August 20, 2006

Rainy Sunday - Reflective Mood

Rode the bike into work without preparing for the rain. I was in a predicament about having to ride to the church in the downpour when my secretary suggested I take her vehicle, a Hyundai SUV. That was awfully nice, but the experience reinforced every reason I've avoided cars. From the parking hassles to the sitting in traffic hassles I felt like I was going to go nuts. It's so easy just to ride right to the stockroom, push the bike in and go upstairs. Of course, the 'arriving dry' part was nice, but if I had been smart I could've done that on the bike too.

At the church this guy I used to date said 'oooooo... nice vehicle'. It was clear that somehow I had been elevated in his eyes with this SUV. I had a chuckle on the inside precisely because this SUV is the antithesis of everything that is me. I felt like I was doing the earth wrong, going backward just by accepting a generous offer. He thought I was moving up. Conflicting paradigms.

The service was especially calming today. The sound of the rain (and the absence of the air handler noise) provided such a fine ambience this a.m. that I let my fingers pick music to match the gentle feeling. One hanging tone turned into two and then a phrase and then counterpoint and then a conversation with a life of its own. Peggy S told me afterwards that she appreciated the offering, a comment that warmed me. In that moment I felt understood. I felt valued.

I so enjoy deep water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home