Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Kid Gets a Haircut

What's so special about a haircut? Well, it's been about a year since the Kid had his last haircut, and a few days ago he asked for another one. It's a big deal.

Because of work, I missed my evening lung-buster with the hill riders, so I talked (semi begged) the Kid into riding his bike with me to the promised haircut appointment. We ended up going to one of the local boxmarts, a move that hurt my spirit since I really dislike giving any coins to the bigboxretails, but it turned out to be nearly 9 miles, a stretch for him, enough to (sort of) satisfy me.

At an intersection we saw a lady with a nice commuter bike and a basket with a small load of groceries. I pulled up beside her and said 'Hi, I'm a bike person too! It's good to see other bike people out!' I think I made her nervous. She was anxious to scurry away, and that left me scratching my head a bit. Oh well.

Over at minuscar I wrote an essay, a simple, embryonic composition, to articulate my thoughts and feelings about trying to live simply, and that changed me. I feel more committed as a result of taking the time to write it out than I did before. Years ago a guy named Tamas told me to write, just write, that the act of writing was transformative. Tamas was scary, a stalker and a hosebag, but that advice, to write, was like a pearl from a sewer. I should have listened then, I think. Today I left another comment there that I'm nearly 50 years old and I've never had an intimate relationship (i .e. boyfriend) that was satisfying to me. No connection where I truly felt understood, safe, or cared about. Not one. That's fucked up.

I felt vulnerable putting that 'out there' - but stronger and richer too.

So this writing 'thing' - I struggle with words, with the cadence and possible perceptions. Oh, and btw, just how honest do I really want to be, I ask myself. But this is more than just a narcissistic foray. Sure, it's 'out there' and sooner or later someone is going to stumble across it, but I have to find my place. I can't help but think that writing will help sort out the jumbled core of 'me'. (ok, so narcissism has a place here too)

If this blog is anything, it will be an honest place.

Cheers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home