Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Just another bike ride

Everywhere the campaign signs are going up. Noticeably absent are Ron Lewis signs, but his challenger, the democrat Mike Weaver, has signs everywhere. I know precious little about the local candidates, but for the most part this town is run well. I will vote, I always do, but I can’t help feeling the hooks of corruption are set early and deep.

Tonight was our bicycle club’s last Pizza night until the new season starts. The days are short and the group ride was bound to be short, so I took a jaunt around the town to check out the ever changing view. I rode my old bike, a heavy, cro-moly steel machine with downtube shifters and side pull brakes, 36 spoke steel wheels, 27 x 1 ¼ – a familiar ride. It feels like an ever faithful friend. It is everything my Lemond Zurich is not, sluggish, crude, rusty and rough about the edges. I love the ugly ‘ole thing.

Tonight after I got home I had ridden 30+ miles. They passed quickly and I could have ridden much more, but it was time to get home for the night. As I passed the Kroger gas station I felt a strong sense of satisfaction that my car spends most days parked in the driveway. I feel for those folks who are still trapped in the car paradigm. This morning I rode into work in a light rain and cool temps. The rain on my face was delightful and the sounds of the wet morning sang me into work. I received some looks of pity from the drivers line of cars waiting at the light, but what they didn’t understand, and probably never will, is that I pitied them.

Over at MinusCar the ever weary debate that occurs when Christian doctrine and gay folk collide is rearing it's head. And, as usual, the issue of children are the catalyst. I'll avoid that debate because the floodgates of anger are already bulging. I don't want to be 'loved' by these folks. I want them to leave me the fuck alone.

1 Comments:

Blogger mytzpyk said...

Woo. Sorry.

Wed Oct 18, 08:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home