Sunday, September 10, 2006

God's Favor

I turned over 7,000 miles of riding for the year on my commute to church this morning. I remember the first 1000 mile marker but none of the others until today, and this one only by chance. It would be nice if it occured while climbing one of the scenic ass-busting hills around here, but here's what really happened.

7000 miles came and went as I passed an SUV with the words 'God's Favor' written in prominent white letters across its rear window. I'm not sure what that meant, exactly, but a bit further down the road I saw a squirrel that had had a make over with a tire-track coif and a permanent eye-bugged 'o shit' expression across its fuzzy little pancake flat face. Apparently it had had a run-in with one of 'God's Favors'. A bit later yet another of God's Favors belched noxious gasses on me as it accelerated from a stop light.

A few months back I remember a load of children and a harried woman on a cell phone in a van. The van had a 'Prepare to Meet thy God' front bumper sticker. Nothing came from this encounter other than a smile from me, but I remember thinking how such a combination (cell phone, screaming kids, mini-van) would be a bicyclist's worst nightmare.

I like to recount these stories and others like them to my mom (actually anyone who'll listen). My mom tells me I've got to stop riding my bike in town. I tell her that if I didn't ride the bike I would never see and enjoy and giggle over mind-fuck moments like these.

The bike is a well of joy I visit again and again.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris L said...

Milestones never seem to come up in interesting places. One thing about riding is that the more milestones you pass, the less you worry about them. I can't even remember what my last "major" milestone was.

Sun Sep 10, 10:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home