Tuesday, August 29, 2006

More News from the Rush

Day two of the college retail madness and I make it through using the internal 'I like you' technique. I keep the irritable veneer thin, but my face registers the fatigue. I'm sure my voice follows suit. I'm not a good actor.

I've been reading a book by Anne Lamott titled 'Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life'. I'm hooked. One of the appealing aspects of the 'blog' is being on display yet remaining intensely private. I like the attention, but shy away from the limelight. Feels like it would be a good fit, if I can keep at it. The point she makes is that you have to be honest.

So in the event that you stumble across this space you will have to put up with a lot of shitty first drafts. I'm committed to writing a little bit every day, regardless of the quality (since I'll rarely have that much time to edit), and to make it brutally honest. Brutally honest shitty first drafts.

I'm fairly certain my mother will stumble across this at some point. She's really talented with the mouse, and google seems to be made for her brand of curiousity. Hmmmmm. Well, so be it. She's one of the voices that hangs around inside my head, forever reading over my shoulder and offering advice whether she's present or not. And many if not all of my actions to this point have been something of an attempt to get her approval, if not just her attention.

That tells me something right there.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris L said...

The thing about posting on a blog is that you only reveal things about yourself that you choose to reveal. I'm sure we all have other things going on in our lives that we don't write about simply because we don't feel like sharing them with the world.

Don't worry too much about your mother finding your blog. It's probably worse if you do what I did, and actually e-mail it to your mother -- only to find that she isn't particularly interested!

Thu Aug 31, 05:27:00 AM  
Blogger Woodog said...

Hey Chris!

I've been reading you over at bikejournal for quite a while, and even before that over at bikeforums. I envy the routes you are able to ride. I've only seen glow worms once in my life. Thanks for being my first commenter.

good point about the mother comment

Sat Sep 02, 10:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home