Monday, October 30, 2006

Curiosity, part II: A chance encounter

It seems that those folks practicing taiji were indeed curious about what the stranger knows, because a couple of days later I received a call from Colleen, one of the folks at the park, asking if I would still like to come to the park to learn with them. It turns out that I knew Colleen, as she studied Tae Kwon Do at a school I attended briefly when I thought my son might be interested in the martial arts. I didn’t recognize her, but she remembered me. I was grateful for the invitation!

So I went. It turns out that they are students of a local kung fu school, and during the recent International Festival our town holds, they met a Chinese woman who is a certified instructor in Yang Style taiji. She is here until January visiting her daughter, who interprets for her. She cannot speak a word of English.

It took just a few moments to realize this woman was the real deal. Her forms are beautiful & precise, and she knows all of them. Even though she is in her 50’s, she is as limber and as strong as any martial artist I’ve ever known.

She refuses to accept any money, saying that her visa won’t allow her to. She says that this is a way she gives back to the world.

So I’m scaling back my usual evening road rides on the bicycle, taking the time instead to absorb what this wonderful woman can teach me, which is a LOT.

There will be time to ride later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home