Friday, December 15, 2006

Stuff

Our business had it's 'Dirty Santa' party last Wednesday at a local restaurant. The student workers as well as the old timers were there.

If you've never been to a Dirty Santa party, here's how it works. Everyone is to bring a gift if you want to 'get' a gift, and in our case the value wasn't to exceed $20. It didn't have to be new, either.

Each person draws a number, the higher the number the better. The lowest number starts and picks a gift from the pile, and shows it off to the crowd. After that, each person selecting a gift has the option to take another's gift away or choose an unwrapped gift. I was last this time, which means I got to choose from the entire lot of gifts. I got a $20 gift card from BestBuy which I gave to one of my student workers.

I'm in the process of de-stuffing my life (unstuffing?) The trinkets, the plastic doodads, the copies of stuff, the 'gifts', the DVD's, old computers, coffee mugs, candle holders, lamps, old shoes.... stuff EVERYWHERE. I'm trying to limit my spending to just those things that sustain me, and trying to dispose of those things I do have that I don't need without actually throwing them away. (www.freecycle.org)

With my kid came an epoch of plastic things. Now I'm asking him to consider longevity in everything he desires.

Still, everytime i attempt to move something out of the house i haven't used or even *thought* about using for months, years... there's this limiting idea that it could be worth something or I might need it *someday*.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home