Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Good Month

Tonight was two meetings that overlapped, but I made both of 'em. One was the newly organized green city initiative, and this is a cause that I believe in with every fiber of my being. The second was the GreenWay commission, with is in charge of connecting the city with a series of paths, bike paths, bike lanes, shared use paths, etc. They were meeting at the same time through a snafu of scheduling. I cut the first short to make sure I had time to book it over to the second.

On the way to the second, a major throughfare that I cross has been widened and ample bike lanes put in. In general I think bike lanes are a bad idea, but in this case they are really well done. I decided to take that road to my destination instead of the circuitous route I normally take.

The route I normally take has few cars. The route with the new bike lanes has LOTS of cars travelling 45+, and it was okay except for the exhaust I kept smelling. Foremost in my mind was that people needed to see a cyclist using the lanes. So there I was, after dark on a somewhat chilly night showing that if you build them, the bike lanes, they, the cyclists, will come. I'll use them sparingly. I still like the quiet streets, commune with trees and folks in their yards, the sound of children and birds and dogs. I like knowing all the back roads.

When I got home I remembered to check the car mileage to see how many I drove this past month. The last fillup was Oct. 4th, and I've driven 82 miles and have used a bit over a fourth of a tank.

I agree with SueJ that 'I can't stomach buying gasoline without extreme provocation, because I really believe it contributes to the greed and carnage we are so thoroughly insulated from'. Folks who know that I ride everywhere have commented that I must really like riding my bicycle. Not always. Sometimes it is a pain in the ass, but I ALWAYS feel good that I made the effort even if the rest of me is worn the fuck out.

In a totally unrelated moment, I was listening to episode #304 (Heretics) on This American Life and my insides felt soft and gentle and able to believe. 20 years ago I would have thought God is speaking to me. hmmmm.

Right now, however, the hifi (Klipschorns and tubes) have Gillian Welch playing. I'm totally spoiled by my stereo setup... it's like she's sitting in my little house playing just for me. I'm far luckier than I deserve to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home