Saturday, November 04, 2006

Book and Movie

Because I work at a university bookstore, I have never had any problem finding things to read during my lunch hour. I finished Griffin's: 'Black Like Me' a few days ago and was looking for something else to read. I picked up the short play 'W;t' by Margaret Edson. It won a pulitzer prize, so I figured it might have some substance to it.

I have not read a play since my college english class, and found them difficult at the time. I've seen Shakepearean plays and had a great time, but reading Shakespeare is extremely difficult for me.

It took me two lunch hours to finish 'W;t', and yesterday in the breakroom of my store I was weeping.

Contrast that with this evening. I rode my bicycle around town to see all the leaves in the last grips of their annual suicide and to do a little exploring on roads I don't normally ride. It was soothing and familiar. Then I picked up my Kid and we went to see the movie 'Borat'. Gene Shalitt (spelling?) had given it a great review on Good Morning America (a trash show, generally) and because he said most of the skits involved folks who had no idea what was going on and because he said he laughed his butt off and because he said it was 'raw' and 'politically incorrect' and 'vulgar' and because I remembered what fun I had had viewing 'Jackass 2'....it was a no brainer that I had to see it. (yes, I see the pun)

Anyway, I laughed my ass off. As deep and moving as 'W;t' was, 'Borat' is crude and unrefined... and funny as hell.

I drove the car to get to the movie - only because I was in no mood to have the Kid whining. In the snarl of traffic I was reminded why I hate to drive the car (unless it's raining and cold... then I like the car).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home