Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Sex and the Sitar

Ok... sorry about that play on words.

Two weeks ago a sociology student interviewed me. She was studying the 'social world of church musicians'. The following analogy came up, I'm not sure how, but I think it is an apt one.

I used to play in a band with a fellow who was a phenomenal slide guitarist, a master of tone and phrase, as well as a total asshole. We could find a groove and get totally lost in it. I told the interviewer that music was sometimes like really good sex with someone who you would not associate with otherwise.

Yeah, he was a jerk (still is), but the music was soooooooo good. So I would tolerate behavior from that guy that I would never tolerate from any other friend because I didn't think I would get that 'cookie' anywhere else. Come to think of it, I haven't jammed with someone at that level since I decided his musicianship wouldn't quite cover his karmic bad check.

I've also felt that way about choral singing in the past. These days I'm not even interested in the sex.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home